Before photographing a wedding, a “wish list” needs to be made by the bride and groom of moments that they absolutely do not want you to miss. The list will probably include the bride walking down the aisle, the kiss, the first dance, etc. Once you have the bride and groom’s wish list, you should add to it the moments that you think are also important to capture with your camera.
All weddings are different, but there are some moments that happen in most weddings that you must not miss.
Before the Ceremony
- The dress hanging up and a close-up of any unique detail on the dress
- The bride getting ready (makeup, hair, jewelry, dress, shoes)
- Others getting ready
- Details like flowers, shoes, jewelry, the rings
- Portrait of the bride
- The groom getting ready (tie, cuff links)
- Portrait of the groom
- The groom waiting for the bride
- The officiator
- The best man and maid of honor coming down the aisle
- Each groomsman and bridesmaid coming down the aisle
- The ring bearer and flower girl
- The bride and her escort coming down the aisle
- Wide-angle view of the ceremony location
- The vows (smiles, tears, reactions from guests, etc.)
- Any special musician, singer, speaker, etc.
- Putting on the rings
- The kiss!
- The bride and groom coming down the aisle
After the Ceremony
- The receiving line
- Signing of the marriage license
- Formal group photos
- Romantic bride and groom photos
- Details like food, centerpieces, the cake, decor
- The wedding party entering the reception
- Cutting of the cake
- The first dance
- Dances with parents
- Bouquet toss
- Garter removal
This list assumes a “traditional” wedding and not all weddings are going to be traditional. This is why it is so important to speak with the bride and groom and find out exactly what is going to happen and when so that you can be prepared for anything!